Friday, October 2, 2015

NEVADA ASSEMBLYWOMAN MICHELE FIORE SPEAKS OUT AGAINST 'GUN FREE ZONES'

Friends,
My heart goes out to the families and friends of the victims in the Umpqua Community College tragedy and the community of Roseburg. This was an act of a criminal who may have been under the influence of mind-altering pharmaceutical drugs. Stricter laws have never stopped someone’s intent on harming others. This school was already legally a gun-free zone!
I have said it before and I will say it again: I believe that an armed society is a safe society.

Labeling a public place a “gun-free zone” will not create a non-violent environment for citizens; in fact, it does the opposite. By creating this illusion, we, as a country, are putting targets on the backs of our children, our families and our selves. While the President has already used this tragedy to feed his anti-gun agenda by saying that these killings have become "routine", what he fails to mention is the truly routine pattern of these terrible crimes is that they happen in gun-free zones. Places where people have been rendered defenseless by the government.
We should really be focusing on the root of the problem: mental illness. I urge everyone to educate themselves on mental illness and the drugs that doctors are so quick to prescribe, because knowing the signs and side effects of these could save lives; banning guns will not!
Today’s victims and their families will be in my thoughts and prayers, and I will continue my work to raise awareness of the dangers of gun-free zones and the dangers of the drugs that are prescribed.
I will not let the media make this about guns. Join me on Saturday because we will be talking about these dangers and how an armed society is a safe society.
Yours truly,

No comments:

Post a Comment