Thursday, October 10, 2013

ASSEMBLYWOMAN MICHELLE FIORE NEWSLETTER 10/10/2013

Friends, 
I’m so excited to share with you the inspirational story of an amazing woman. When faced with cancer, Helene Neville decided to run, and she ran for 93 days across the United States. The only things she took with her she carried on her back.
A friend of mine shared this video with me just a few weeks ago, and it really moved me, so when I was invited to introduce Helene at the upcoming National Nurses Health Institute conference in Las Vegas, I couldn’t say no. I hope you will watch this video, and I hope her story inspires you like it did for me.

If you want to meet Helene or listen to her speak, pop by the National Nurses Health Institute conference at the Red Rock Convention Center. It's open to the public. The doors open at 8am on Friday, October 11th and Saturday, October 12th, and Helen is speaking at 12:30pm on Saturday. There is also a marathon on Sunday. Click here for more information
Something I’m asked a lot is what Legislators do when we’re not in Session. For me, being your Assemblywoman is a full time job! Just this week I received my assignments for interim committees that continue working on issues that need more time than we can give them during Session. My two appointments are: the Sunset Subcommittee of the Legislative Commission and the Task Force on the Prevention of Sexual Abuse of Children.
The Sunset Subcommittee of the Legislative Commission was a recommendation of the SAGE Commission under Governor Jim Gibbons to identify repetitive and out-of-date boards and commissions and sunset them. I’m excited to be part of this great group that is identifying and stopping waste of taxpayer dollars in our government.
The Task Force on the Prevention of Sexual Abuse of Children was created by SB258 of the 77th Nevada Legislative Session. This task force will make recommendations to the 78th Nevada Legislature in 2015 about ways Nevada can protect our children. As a grandmother, I feel very strongly that we need to protect our children, and that includes teaching our children to be aware of dangers around them, including teaching them about strangers and reporting inappropriate touching.
Do you have ideas for topics I should suggest for these interim committees? Please send me an email with your ideas! 
I look forward to hearing from you soon!
Yours truly, 
Michele Fiore
 

No comments:

Post a Comment