Thursday, July 11, 2013

MUTH'S TRUTHS 07/11/2013

STAR-STUDDED, ACTION-PACKED FIRST FRIDAY HAPPY HOUR TOMORROW!

As you already know, Grover Norquist of Americans for Tax Reform is our scheduled VIP guest-of-honor for this Friday’s First Friday Happy Hour. But Grover’s gonna be running late, so you’ll have to stick around until about 6:30 pm to catch him.

However, we’ve now confirmed that Sen. Rand Paul will be stopping by and saying a few words!  And yesterday my “joined-at-the-hip” co-host, Alan Stock, confirmed that national conservative talk-show host Rusty Humphries (remind me to tell you about Rusty and the Harley “Fat Boy” I won from NPRI!) will be joining us.

Plus, “Atlas Shrugged” producer Harmon Kaslow will be in the house, as well as our good friend and former Nevadan Mark Warden, now a state representative in New Hampshire.  And conservative Nevada State Assemblyman Jim Wheeler from Douglas County.

And yes, John Burnett of Las Vegas Gold and Jewelry Buyers will again be buying drinks for the first 100 people through the door!

First Friday is held at Bahama Breeze on the corner of Flamingo and Paradise in the Hughes Center, just east of the Strip.  $5 voluntary donation requested. 

Doors open to the general public at 5:00 pm, but Silver State Confidential subscribers and ONE GUEST can get in early at 4:30 pm. 


LOVING, HATING CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL

Jon Caldara is the head honcho of the Independence Institute in Colorado.  He’s one of the funniest, wittiest conservative activists I’ve ever met.  But he’s inked a dead-serious column on the Children’s Hospital in Colorado that you just have to read.  Click here

HELP WANTED

Congressman Joe Heck’s office has an immediate opening for a veterans caseworker. Call his Las Vegas office at (702) 387-4941 if you or someone you know might be interested.


CARSON CITY TRIP

I spent last weekend in Carson City with my daughter, Jenna…and what a wonderful place it is, especially when the Legislature is NOT in session.  A report…

* My first stop on the way up was in Tonopah for a thoroughly delightful lunch at the renovated Mizpah Hotel with one of my favorite people in politics, former Nye County Commissioner Joni Eastley.  We stopped by Joni’s house on the way home, too…which is WAY cool and was featured on the Ghost Hunters show on cable TV.

Joni also educated me on the very interesting Crescent Dunes Solar Energy Project just outside of town which is unique in that the technology will allow it to generate “on demand” power 24 hours a day.  I need to learn more…especially as to how much this “green” power is going to cost us consumers.

* Friday night I had dinner with conservative freshman Assemblyman Jim Wheeler at Bully’s in Carson City.  Wheeler was one of the very few bright spots in the 2013 legislative session.  He’s safely ensconced in a very Republican district and may consider seeking a leadership position in the GOP assembly caucus in 2015…that is, if he doesn’t opt to run in a primary against the Reno RINO, Sen. Ben Kieckhefer.  Both options are on the table.

* Had a wonderful breakfast meeting Saturday morning with Linda Barnett, former general manager of the Carson City Hampton Inn and a prominent opponent of last November’s library tax hike…which did, in fact, go down in flames. 

Linda has a fascinating story about her political evolvement.  She went from a volunteer on the McGovern presidential campaign to a top lieutenant to libertarian Ed Crane of the Cato Institute.

Barnett’s one of those unusual Nevadans who’s not only an informed, smart conservative but an active activist, as well.  As such, she’s on our short list for this year’s Conservative of the Year Award.  And the Hampton Inn is now the unofficial Citizen Outreach headquarters.  In fact, look for future grassroots and candidate training seminars there!

* After meeting with Linda, I drove out to Silver Springs and caught the second half of the Lyon County Republican Party meeting, chaired by yet another charming and intelligent woman, Peggy Gray.

Amusingly, liberal-Democrat-turned-liberal-Republican Assemblyman Tom Grady almost fell out of his chair when he saw me walk in the room.  He later proceeded to give a post-session report on all the great things he accomplished by working cooperatively with the Democrats in the Assembly, including passage of a bill he sponsored to discourage tax breaks for businesses.

Fortunately, Grady is finally termed out of office and won’t be making any such reports again in the future.

Also in the room was Lyon County Commissioner Bob “Pudd’nhead” Hastings.  We’ll

just leave that at that.

* After the meeting, I took my daughter and two of her friends to the Coconut Bowl in Reno. While they were bowling and playing miniature golf and other games, I sat back and read a short book lent to me by John Delaberta, “Stories in His Own Words: The Everyday Wisdom of Ronald Reagan.” 

Boy, how this nation misses him.  Pick up the book if you’re a Reagan fan.

* On Sunday morning I drove down to Wellington, past the big brushfire, and had coffee with Dr. Robin Titus.  But before getting out of town, I was extended an official greeting by one of Carson City’s finest.

I’m traveling southbound on 395.  Stopped at a traffic light.  A sheriff’s deputy was in the left-turn lane, heading north.  I proceeded through the light after it turned green.  Looked in my rearview mirror.  The deputy turned his lights on, made a u-turn, then turned his lights off…but still proceeded to pull up behind me. 

I see he’s apparently running my plates.  I’m not worried.  I’m not speeding.  Not texting.  And my insurance and registration are up to date.  Nevertheless, I pull over into the right-hand lane to allow him to go by.  As soon as I did…his lights came on.  Traffic stop! 

Good grief.  What the heck did I do?

Let’s face it…if a police officer really wants to pull you over in this day and age, they can come up with all manner of reasons.  But it turns out, I gave him one.  When I moved into the right lane to let him by, I failed to use my turn signal.  Dang it!

License and registration, please.  Yes, sir.  Back to his car.  Runs me through NCIC or whatever…and back to my car.  Looking at the registration he asks, “Citizen Outreach?  What do you do?”

Now, I have a stock answer to that that I’ve been using for several months now, but I’m never sure how it’ll be taken by a complete stranger.

“I irritate liberals, pretty much on a daily basis,” I replied.

With that, the deputy got a big smile on his face, handed me back my license and registration, warned me to use my turn signals…and sent me on my way!

* Back to Dr. Titus: The woman is a smart, energetic, conservative who is running to replace the aforementioned Tom Grady in the Assembly.

If elected she won’t be just a far better conservative vote than Grady, but you get the sense that she’s not planning on going to Carson City just to push the right buttons.  When called for and appropriate, I suspect she’ll rock the boat and not follow in Tom’s go-along-to-get-along footsteps. 

There may be other GOP candidates who enter the primary (this is a solid Republican district; whoever wins the primary will win the general), but my guess is Titus will emerge the victor…and what a vast improvement that’s going to be over Tom Grady!

* After leaving Dr. Titus (and her poor dog who was recovering from being bitten by a rattlesnake last week), I drove back to Carson City for a lunch at Red’s 395 Grill with the new editor of the Nevada Appeal, Brian Sandford, and a number of the paper’s columnists…liberal and conservative and non-political alike.  A very enjoyable gathering…good food, good company.

All in all, a very busy, very productive and very enjoyable weekend in the great northwest!


READERS WRITE

“For many months I have endured his name calling of many of our elected Republican officials, so now I have a name for him, Chuck Goof! How does it feel Chuck? … Clark County Republicans are we going to stand by and let David McKeon be defeated by gossip? I am not! He has a plan to unite us and we will all be Republicans once again! … Lets show Chuck Goof that we will not be bullied by him! Lets show Chuck Goof that we will not allow him to bully one of our fellow Republicans!” – Cathie Lynn Profane

“Chuck…Congratulations…You've really outdone yourself (As if that were ever possible) …You've sunk below conservative basher, Jon Ralston to the  bottom of the barrel and into the deepest trench of shit you've been in in your so called journalistic life…Even your bud…Ralston has unbraided you like a worthless piece of twine.” – Robert S. Smith

“As someone who would vote for ANYONE but Cindy, I thank you for finding this information.  I now have to vote for Cindy so Dave won’t get elected.  If the CCRP elects an admitted wife batterer, we may as well close up shop now.  There will be no recovery for the GOP in NV.  I met with Dave a month ago and thought he was the better choice.  Sometimes we all have to admit our mistakes.  Thanks for the certified documents from the court.” – Name withheld

“Chuck, I hope there are lots more people like me that support what you do for the State of Nevada. Thanks for exposing McKeon. Nonetheless, the people in this State, such as those who call themselves enlightened Republicans, are so stupid I expect this guy will be elected.” - Barbara Davis

“Hi Chuck!  Thank you for all you do!  Even if you occasionally irritate certain people, clearly it's needed!” – Susan M.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A SPARE STRAIGHT-JACKET LYING AROUND?

Look, I get it. 

I understand that some people so abhor the notion of another term for Clark County GOP Chairman Cindy Lake that they’ll support almost anyone who would run against her…maybe even an ax murderer. 

And I understand that some folks who committed early to Dave McKeon are now having difficulty accepting the reality that they were duped into backing a nag who’s running around the track with lead weights strapped to his back. 


I also understand that some McKeon supporters are simply in denial, refusing to believe the information which has been exposed in public documents.  Or think the Superior Court of California believed the wrong party in the divorce and got it wrong.

I understand all that.  I also understand the anger…though I think it would be more appropriately directed at McKeon for hiding his past and putting everybody in this tough position than at me for exposing it.  But whatever.

But then there’s Cathie Lynn Profant. 

This woman has come completely unhinged from reality and is certifiably delusional.

Again, I understand that some people are furious with me for pulling the curtain back and exposing McKeon before the July 17 election.  But with regard to the statement I published on Tuesday from Monica McKeon - in which she defended herself against Dave’s claim that she lied about the domestic violence she suffered - here’s what Profant wrote yesterday:

“As for Chuck, he wrote that letter not David's ex-wife."

Wow!  And they say it’s the Ron Paul people who wear tinfoil on their heads?

Cathie Lynn, you might want to seek some professional help and get back on your meds.  Oh, and stay away from sharp objects.

Time before that mental midget Mark “SureWould” weighs in on Profant’s side?
T-minus five…four…three…two…

THE FUNNY BONE

An old man was asked, "At your ripe age, what would you prefer to get - Parkinson's or Alzheimer's?”  The wise one answered, "Definitely Parkinson's.  Better to spill half an ounce of booze than to forget where you keep the bottle!" (author unknown)

MEET KEVIN MCCARTHY

The Republican Women of Southern Nevada will be holding their first “Red, White & Blue Gala” fundraising dinner on Saturday, July 13th at the Venetian/Palazzo. The keynote speaker will be the conservative Majority Whip for the U.S. House of Representatives, Congressman Kevin McCarthy (R-Ca.).  Other speakers: Sen. Dean Heller, Rep. Joe Heck and Wayne Allyn Root. 

VIP reception at 6:00 pm.  Dinner at 7:00 pm.  For additional information, please visit http://www.RepublicanWINPAC.com

MEET RAND PAUL

Save the date: U.S. Sen. Rand Paul will be in Las Vegas for a rally with the Nevada Republican Party on Saturday, July 13 starting at 2:30 pm and wrapping up by 5:00 pm.  Prices range from $30 to $1,000.  For more information or pre-purchase your ticket, visit: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/3540097527

FAMOUS LAST WORDS

“Study: electric cars less ‘green’ than gasoline-powered vehicles. Turns out they're also less safe in head-on collisions with Chihuahuas.” – Fred Thompson tweet

No comments:

Post a Comment