Friday, June 21, 2013

ASSEMBLYWOMAN MICHELE FIORE Newslatter 06/21/2013

Friends,

I have never fully appreciated what it means for our Nevada legislators to literally stop their lives for 120 days to serve in Carson City. I am so thankful for the experience, and I cannot wait for 2015; however, it is nice to be back in District 4 with my neighbors and my family.

Speaking of family, I am so proud to announce the birth of Mara and Morrigan, my twin granddaughters. Jayden arrived on May 20th, so it has been a busy month for my family.

Jake holding his new little sister Jayden  Jayden
(Left - Jake holding his new little sister, Jayden
Right - Jayden in her cute hat)

Mara & Morrigan  Mara with her eyes open and morrigan snuggling up
(Left - Mara & Morrigan sleeping
Right - Mara with her eyes open and Morrigan snuggling up)


Before we all get busy with our summer plans, I wanted to give you a final update from the 77th Nevada Legislature. You can read about the bills I introduced by clicking here and you can read about my favorite bi-partisan bills by clicking here.

After 120 days in Carson City, I think everyone was anxiously waiting for sine die at midnight, but as quickly as we could work, Tuesday arrived before our business was completed. Before we could even leave the Assembly floor, we were informed that Governor Sandoval would be calling a special session for votes on 5 remaining bills. With such a restricted agenda, we did our work within a couple of hours so we could all go home.

Now that the session is finished, I wanted to share with you some of the topics that were highly debated in Carson City. Please know that I did not support all of these bills; however, I want to make sure you are aware of them.

AB114 allowed Nevada to continue as a leader in gaming, and with its passage, Nevada became the first state in the nation to allow online gaming.

AB300 made amendments to legislation passed in 2011 addressing Nevada's foreclosure process, creating restrictions that kept lienholders from foreclosing on delinquent loans that had particularly complicated ownership histories. AB300 should help increase the supply of homes on the market and prevent an artificial housing bubble from threatening our economic recovery.

SB321 created a "Homeowner's Bill of Rights" to help distressed homeowners by requiring loan servicers to meet standards and timelines when communicating with homeowners about foreclosure prevention options and the foreclosure process.

AB10 prohibits local governments from adopting or enforcing ordinances deeming dogs to be considered dangerous or vicious based solely on the dog's breed.

SB303 creates a driver's authorization card for persons who cannot qualify for a driver's license, particularly those who are undocumented residents of the United States. Supporters of this bill argued that this new law will make all Nevadans safer by helping to ensure that all drivers have taken a test on the rules of the road, purchased liability insurance, and can be identified if they are involved in an accident.

SB522 allocated more money for full-day kindergarten and smaller kindergarten class sizes.

SB504 dedicated more money for English Language Learners. This funding will provide a comprehensive program for English learners of pre-kindergarten programs, full-day kindergarten, reading skills development centers, and summer academies.

These are just a few of the bills that passed during the 77th Nevada Legislature. If you would like more information about these bills or any other bills, please don't hesitate to contact me.

As a Republican freshman, I learned a lot about how the "political" process works in Carson City. I'm proud to have sponsored two bills that have now been signed into law by Governor Sandoval, and I appreciate that I had this opportunity to work with some great Nevada leaders on legislation that will help Nevadans.

Now that the 77th Legislative Session is over, it is time to get back to work in District 4. I will be in touch throughout the summer with updates, and I will be hosting dinners again soon. Please continue to contact me with your ideas, questions and concerns. This is our community, and I want to work together to make it great.

Enjoy the warm weather.

All my love,

Michele Fiore  
Michele Fiore

No comments:

Post a Comment