Monday, April 1, 2013

ASSEMBLYWOMAN MICHELE FIORE NEWSLETTER 04/01/2013

Friends,

Campus Carry is scheduled for a hearing - Wednesday, April 3rd at 8:00am in Assembly Judiciary. Please plan to attend and voice your support. If you can't attend, you can click here to make sure your support of AB143 is on the record. The committee needs to hear from as many of the Nevadans who support this bill as possible.        

Assembly Bill 143 would allow law-abiding, trained adults to carry their concealed firearm on our Nevada System of Higher Education properties, and when I first announced I would be reintroducing this legislation, I knew there would be a lot of feedback. I never imagined there would be this much support and media coverage!

I am a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment Rights, and I introduced this bill because I have two beautiful daughters who attend the College of Southern Nevada. I worry about their safety, and I want them to have the ability to protect themselves if needed.  

After introducing AB143, I was given the privilege of meeting a young woman who believes this legislation would have allowed her to take charge of her own safety the night she was raped at the University of Nevada, Reno. I'm hoping Amanda will join us on Wednesday to tell her story and share her support of this bill. 


I've included a video of Amanda's story below. She tells the story of her attack why she supports allowing CCW permit holders to carry their firearms on college campuses.   

Click Here to Watch Amanda Collins Tell Her Story
Click Here to Watch
Amanda Collins Tell Her Story

I just want to leave you with one final thought. The only way to truly be safe, whether on a college campus or a walk down the street, is to take control of your own safety. We often use the example of women, but men can be attacked too. AB143 is not asking for anything more than our constitutional right to protect our selves if the need arises.

I'm incredibly optimistic that we will be able to pass this legislation. Already half of the Assembly Judiciary committee has co-signed this bill, and I'm talking to every legislator personally. We owe it to our sons and daughters, wives, mothers and sisters. We need to make sure our college campuses are no longer painted with the target of a "gun-free zone."



Yours truly,
Michele Fiore  
Michele Fiore

No comments:

Post a Comment