Wednesday, January 30, 2013

ASSEMBLYWOMAN MICHELE FIORE'S NEWSLETTER

Friends,

Yesterday I was given the opportunity to meet with Governor Sandoval to discuss our goals for the 77th Nevada Legislature that starts on Monday. We had a great conversation about the legislation being proposed to keep Nevada competitive for businesses and a place where our neighbors can still achieve the American dream.  

  

In these last few days before the session begins, I have also spent a lot of time reflecting on our Founding Fathers and the framework they created for our nation. I have found their insights particularly helpful as there is more and more speculation about the types of legislation my peers will be introducing.

I think we forget that spirited debate has always been part of the political process. The Founding Fathers found it impossible to agree on the Constitution without the first 10 amendments, each protecting a right our Founding Fathers believed was essential to protecting the freedom of future generations. When I read their words, it amazes me how carefully and precisely each sentence was crafted and how much they left to personal interpretation. 


It is fair to say that firearms will continue to be a contentious issue throughout the session, especially while the 2nd Amendment is under attack by the very people who never fail to remind us of the importance of the 1st Amendment - the right to free speech. As I look through each of the first 10 amendments, I cannot help but think that every one is essential to our American way of life - the 4th Amendment prohibits unreasonable searches and seizures for example, so why is it only the 2nd Amendment that must go? I fear that if opponents of the 2nd Amendment manage to strike it out that it will create precedent for the removal of our rights guaranteed in the Amendments, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of the press, just to name a few.

I ask my peers in Carson City as well as all elected officials to consider carefully the slippery slope we may find ourselves on if we travel down this path of disassembling one Amendment at a time. The Amendments are designed to balance each other.  

Because I so strongly believe in this balance, I asked Brian Fadie from ProgressNow Nevada and respected Democrat consultant Ronni Council to join me for a firearm safety training and shooting class earlier this month. I am so thankful that each of them approached our two day training with an open mind and a willingness to be part of the conversation.  

Brian Fadie wrote an extensive blog post where he voiced some concerns about safety, but said, "I'm glad that I did it and I thank Assemblywoman Fiore for giving me the opportunity for the experience. I learned that there are people out there who genuinely want to be safe with their guns and who take the initiative to increase their skill level." I hope we can continue to discuss his concerns with facts and open minds.  

Ronni Council, after learning more about the recent Georgia woman who shot an intruder in her home, said, "In the past, I've always seen firearm facilities as places I completely disagreed with on a variety of levels. While participating in the course, I was completely taken aback and surprised by the amount of safety measures as well as the continual rhetoric that emphasized the needed caution when firing a gun (such as "If you're not willing to die for the reason you are shooting your gun at an individual, DON'T!). I am certain that our educational requirements should be stricter when it comes to owning a firearm, but I am now also sure that an individual has the right to make the choice whether or not they would like to arm themselves."  


I think our Founding Fathers were correct that we need passionate debate in our political process, and I hope we don't ever cast away their insight because we think it is outdated. In fact, I think we still have the same debates today that they settled by including 10 amendments in the Constitution of the United States.

I can't wait to be part of those debates in Carson City.


Yours truly,
Michele Fiore  
Michele Fiore

No comments:

Post a Comment